For many women, staining is a constant part of life. It is the new colour of the hair that gives them a sense of security, helps to get rid of small flaws, such as grey hair. But it is not always possible to make a procedure in the cabin.
The process of hair dyeing at home differs from the salon in that the latter is a wide range of drugs.
The main success factor is the right choice of dye. Now there are many kinds of dyes on sale in various forms: mousse, cream, emulsion, shampoo, tonic and powder. They differ only by the manufacturer and the degree of firmness.
Permanent and semi-permanent
Permanent – these are formulations for permanent dyeing of hair. With normal hair care, they are practically not washed away, only duller. And you can change the colour only with the help of discolouration, which is bad for their condition. Or you’ll have to wait until your hair grows to trim your coloured tips.
Therefore, such dyes can be recommended for women who use the same colour for a long time. The only exception is lighter shades, which can be painted in darker colours.
Semi-permanent dyes are dyes that only tone the hair without significantly changing its colour. This group also includes products that wash their hair after 6-8 procedures of washing their heads. Such products are suitable for women:
who have not yet decided on the colour of their hair;
who want to make the natural colour brighter;
who love change.
Ammonia and non-stigmatizing
Non-resumption paints are less resistant but more gentle. They are suitable for those with damaged hair, e.g. after a perm. Ammonia-free dyes are also suitable for pregnant women, as less harmful fumes are emitted into the air during the dyeing process.
All these factors should be taken into account when choosing a dye. When purchasing the composition it is necessary to determine not only the color but also its quantity. The thicker and longer the hair, the more dye you need to buy. Normal packaging is designed for hair lengths up to the shoulders.
How to pick up the colour of the paint
You can choose the desired shade with the help of special palettes, which are available from good manufacturers. With this palette, you can choose the original hair colour and the desired colour, as well as the colour that is suitable for transforming one colour into another. In this case, it is desirable that the chosen tone is not very different from the natural. Then it is safe to say that it will harmonize with the colour of eyes and skin.
What would it take
To dye your hair, prepare the following items:
- Dye brush;
- Dye container;
- A special comb with a strand extractor;
- Hair clips;
- Shower cap;
- oily cream for skin protection;
- Thin medical gloves;
- Clothing to protect clothes from the dye.
Usually, the composition is accompanied by gloves and a bottle to mix the components. But as practice shows, these items are not very convenient.
After all the items have been prepared, an allergic reaction test should be carried out. To do this, apply a small amount of paint behind the ear or on the elbow fold. After 20 minutes, rinse off and wait for a few hours (preferably 24 hours). If the skin is not red and rash, then this composition can be used.
Before dyeing, it is better to refrain from washing your hair for a couple of days (exception: non-stimulating compositions and shampoos, foams). Sebaceous gland secretions accumulated during this period will soften the negative impact of dye on hair and skin. If your hair is in poor condition, it’s best to perform a recovery course before colouring.
Hair dyeing process
If you decide to dye your hair, you should first read the dyeing instructions. Depending on the type of dye, the next steps will be different. The only common thing to do is to put on a cape, as well as the application of the cream on the face along the hair contour, so as not to dye the skin.
When using shade shampoo or mousse, it is enough to apply the product to the hair and foam massage movements. Wait a few minutes, rinse and apply the balm.
Dyeing with traditional dye is more difficult:
- Mix composition and developer according to instructions.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Divide the hair into several sectors. Depending on their thickness and density, the sectors can be from 2 to 8.
- Separate the strand from the first sector. Apply paint to it and clip the strand.
- Repeat the procedure with the rest of the hair in the sector.
- Sequentially treat all sectors.
- Brush the hair so that the dye lies evenly.
- Keep the dye on your hair for 8 to 30 minutes, depending on the desired colour. The time varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, this information can be found on the box or in the instructions.
- If the mixture is liquid, you can put on a shower cap. But you don’t need to wrap your hair in a towel, it will disrupt the dyeing process;
- After a while, the paint should be washed off under warm running water until it becomes transparent.
- To improve the condition of the hair and fix the colour, apply the balm, attached to the composition. It may also need to be washed away. This is also stated in the instructions.
- A hairdryer is not recommended after colouring your hair. It is enough to soak the hair with a towel several times and then leave it to dry naturally.
What kind of problems can you face
Even if the technology is followed, there is a possibility of the appearance of nuances, which are rarely found during the procedure in the salon.
- Heterogeneous dyeing. More often than not, this problem occurs in people with thick long or porous hair.
- Unexpected colour. Often the reason for a different shade than desired is the wrong choice of product. It can also be due to the fact that the hair was previously coloured with henna, which caused an undesirable chemical reaction.
- Head irritation and dermatitis. These symptoms usually occur when a woman has neglected the sensitivity test and when the dye has been on her hair longer than it is written in the instructions.
- Hair loss. It occurs when the hair follicle is seriously damaged. This happens when you buy a poor quality dye or when you have a long-lasting effect on your hair.
Many women prefer herbal remedies. Natural paints are the powder of a plant containing a lot of dyeing pigment. They can be used not only to dye the hair but also to improve the condition of the hair.
Usually, several plants are used:
The procedure of painting herbs:
Pour the powder with warm water and let it swell. Mix to a homogeneous mixture. Please note that when preparing the formula in a light bowl, the container may permanently lose its original colour.
Apply porridge evenly to the hair while it is hot.
For a light shade it is enough to wait 20 minutes, for a saturated 2 hours and more (the longer the time of exposure to the dye, the more intense the colour).
Wash off with warm water.
When using herbs, it is necessary to consider that they do not paint the greyish well. Therefore, grey hair will be lighter than the rest.
When it’s best to get into the hands of a professional
Despite the fact that hair colouring is not a very complicated procedure, but in some situations, it is worth abstaining from it, or at least attract an assistant.
- Pregnancy. During this period of life, in the woman’s body, there are significant hormonal changes that can affect the process of staining. Starting from the possibility of unpredictable hair colour, ending with the possibility of deterioration of health during the procedure.
- Sensitive skin. When applying the dye, the process should be monitored. If redness occurs, the procedure should be stopped immediately.
- Multistage colouring, e.g. from brunette to blonde. It takes a lot of time and a lot of professional preparations, which can be picked up only by a specialist.
- Heterogeneous colour of curls, for example, after melting. In this case, it is important to visually control the application of the dye.
- Very long and thick hair. In such a situation, it is important to apply the dye evenly, which is difficult to do by yourself.
There are many factors to consider when making decisions. Only in this case, you can count on a good result.